This ad appeared in the May 12, 1959, El Gaucho newspaper…
Now Taking Student Reservations for 1959 Fall Semester
Especially “Designed” for U.C.S.B. Students
(Separate Buildings for Men and Women Students)
Featuring “Planned” studio type units with two bedrooms upstairs, (for privacy and quiet) and living rooms and kitchen down. This provides a split-level separation between living and bedroom-study areas. The living area downstairs is expanded into the out-of-doors by means of a full length sliding glass door, opening into a private walled patio. Each apartment with its own patio will be a favorite spot for entertaining, outdoor eating and relaxed study.
Villa del Sur’s buildings are so arranged on the garden-like three acre site to provide spacious lawn areas for sunbathing and recreation activities.
Villa del Sur’s manager and wife will live on the grounds.
Check These Other Advantages
- Each apartment is furnished to accommodate four students. There are two beds, two chests, two desks and chairs in each bedroom. Kitchen equipped with range, refrigerator and garbage disposal. Dining area has large dining table and four chairs. Living room is furnished with sofa, coffee table, two chairs, end tables, lamps and peg board. Traverse drapes are furnished thru-out apartment.
- There are two baths. One upstairs and one down. One with tub and shower enclosed with sliding glass doors. Bathroom upstairs has twin sinks in a pullman stand with a five foot mirror over and storage below.
- Each bedroom has a large walk-in closet with clothes hanging space and shelves. Large closet for linen and blanket storage. Built-in book shelves. Each apartment has over 226 cubic ft. of storage for trunks, suitcases, tennis racquets, golf clubs, etc.
- Automatic washers and driers are provided in special laundry buildings. Enclosed drying yards are adjacent to the laundry buildings.
- Large paved parking areas for automobiles and bicycles, which are automatically lighted at nite.
- Located in Isla Vista, short walking distance to the University and even closer to the beach.
NEXT SEMESTER — Enjoy carefree effortless living in beautiful garden-like surroundings at extremely reasonable rates.
Villa del Sur, Million-Dollar off-campus student housing development scheduled for completion Aug. 29, is shown in above artist’s rendering. Featuring two-bedroom and two-bath studio apartments, each with a private patio, the project will house 334 students with separate buildings for men and women. The housing is approved by the university for junior and senior women students and male students in all classes. Inset at lower right shows private patio such as will be included with each apartment.
This Is Why They Call It The Villa del Sur
Call it charm, atmosphere or comfort… It has that certain something every student wants but can’t find. It is hard to describe, also it is hard to put a dollar value on it although everyone knows it is worth quite a bit. This apartment house is unusual, different and pleasing. From the minute you enter the front door you know that Villa del Sur has that something, from the living room into the private walled patio through sliding glass doors, comes ith suddenness the feeling of being outside while still being in the living room. From every angle you will find the living area a fascinating place to entertain or just plain relax. Completely furnished thru-out, (except linen, kitchen ware, etc.) with cheerful, light colored furniture, that is easy to keep clean. With one bath, kitchen and dining living room area downstairs plus a large storage area for those trunks, suitcases and miscellaneous items. Let’s go upstairs and take a look at the two large bedrooms and second bath. Large sliding glassed windows across one end of each bedroom provides loads of sunlight. Pegboards in each bedroom and built-in bookshelves are provided in abundance. There are two single beds, two chests and two desks in each bedroom. With the two bedrooms being upstairs this gives a split-level separation between living and study areas. The second bathroom upstairs, has tub with shower, enclosed by sliding glass doors. Double lavatory with double sinks and large pullman with plenty of room for storage. Especially planned and designed for students at UCSB, Villa del Sur is now accepting reservations for the fall semester of 1959. Now is the time to place your reservation just to be sure that you will not be disappointed next September.