The City of Goleta’s newest Commission – Historic Preservation – has its first-ever meeting tonight, February 22, at 5:30 pm. Be a part of this historic event. Tonight’s meeting includes welcome and opening remarks from Mayor Paula Perotte, City Manager Robert Nisbet, and Planning and Environmental Review Director Peter Imhof. There will also be a presentation providing an overview of the goals and objectives of the Historic Preservation Commission.
The Goleta City Council enacted the Historic Preservation Ordinance in April 2022. The goal of the Ordinance is to preserve and protect resources that, once lost, cannot be replaced or replicated. The Historic Preservation Commission is an essential next step in its implementation.
Responsibilities of this new five-member Commission include:
- Making recommendations to the City Council regarding the designation of eligible properties as Historic Landmarks, Historic Districts, and Points of Historical Interest within the City and Mills Act requests.
- Making recommendations to the City Council regarding the rescission of or amendment to a historic designation.
- Reviewing and making recommendations to the Design Review Board on projects involving alterations to historic resources.
- Reviewing historic resources surveys and making recommendations to the City Council on periodic updates to the City’s Historic Resources Inventory.
- Making recommendations on any proposed design guidelines that may be developed by the City for project review or review of appropriate alterations or new construction within Historic Districts.
- Acting as an advisory board to the City Council, Planning Commission, Design Review Board, City Manager, and all City departments on all matters related to historic preservation.
You can participate by attending in person in Goleta City Council Chambers (130 Cremona Drive) or online via Zoom. You can also watch from the comfort of your home on the City website at https://www.cityofgoleta.org/meetings-agendas or on Goleta TV Channel 19. The agenda is available here.