The City of Goleta is holding an informative community workshop on the Hollister Avenue Old Town Interim Striping Project (Project). Join us Thursday, September 29, from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. at the Goleta Community Center (5679 Hollister Ave) in Rooms 1 & 2 to learn more about this important project and provide input. The City’s Spanish Engagement Specialist will be at the workshop to help answer questions in Spanish.
This Project provides for cost-effective striping improvements that include angled parking and bike lanes. It is a pre-cursor to the Hollister Avenue Complete Streets Corridor Project that will include permanent streetscape improvements, reshaping Hollister Avenue in Old Town once funding becomes available.
At the upcoming workshop, staff will inform the public about the findings from past traffic and parking studies; receive input from the community on their concerns and vision for Old Town Hollister Avenue; and present concepts developed for the Hollister Avenue Old Town Interim Striping Project.
The Project will:
- Change the number of vehicle lanes from two to one lane in each direction
- Calm traffic speeds on Hollister Avenue
- Prioritize traffic on Hollister Avenue through traffic signal infrastructure and timing improvements
- Increase the availability of on-street parking by:
- Adding angled parking
- Generating turn-over of parking spaces with 90-minute time restrictions
- Improve bike safety with the addition of bike lanes
- Reduce collisions by:
- Improving intersection sight distance
- Restricting left-turns at key intersections and driveways
- Repair and resurface the roadway with a new “blacktop” finish
For more information and to learn about each of the three options being considered, go to https://cityofgoleta.org/hollisterinterimstriping.