Last weekend, DPNews won five awards and was honored as one of the top news and podcast programs in the country at the Student Television Network in Long Beach:
- Daily morning news show – Top 20 shows in the country
- The Goodland Podcast – 2nd best high school podcast in the country
- 1- 1st place
- 1- 2nd place
- 2- 3rd place
- 1- 4th place/honorable mention
The DPNews program participants have been attending the conference for 16 years, and have won only three awards over that time.
The national convention/ competition featured 2,700 students from media programs all over the country. DPNews brought 34 students who participated in 16 contests.
Most contests are given a prompt and then three hours to film and three hours to edit. Students were challenged to find stories in the community, interview strangers on the street, find the stories of Long Beach, and tell them in a deadline-driven environment.
“Each team produced some great quality work and submitted them in a tight deadline, pressure-filled environment,” said John Dent, DPNews teacher. “Win or lose, they all gained a ton of experience, and we are so proud of what they created.”
You can watch the daily editions of DPNews on their website.
“Producing high-quality content like DPNews provides is tough in any setting, especially in a school. But these students do it each and every day. We are proud of the quality work they do to keep DP students informed and to see the hard work be recognized. This program teaches broadcast news skills at a time when quality journalism is more valued than ever before. We thank DPNews teachers John Dent and Doug Caines for their work to prepare students for graduation,” said Dr. Hilda Maldonado, Superintendent.
Full List of Student Awards
In the Excellence Awards the News Program that they produce each morningl was rated as a top 20 best News Shows in the country and our podcast was named as the 2nd best high school Podcast in the country.
- 1st place – DPNews won their first ever
Sports Highlight Editing – Given game footage and stats, edit with commentary and graphics Jude Kadi, Seth Tedeschi
- 2nd place Tell The Story News Editing – Given raw footage and data, create news package Aidan Myers
- 3rd place Vertical Nat Package – Create a news package with the theme – “Take it outside” Jules Steelsmith, Sophia Merritt, Sophia Pixley
- 3rd place – Crazy 8’s documentary – large team competition – 8 hours to create a documentary on theme “Actions speak louder”
- Honorable mention/ 4th place Public Service Announcement – Create a PSA themed “Disconnect to Reconnect” Alex Gardiner, Seth Phillips